Let’s bring the dog!
Bringing your dog along to events and to run errands can be fun – and add some dimension to your dog’s life.
Before you do, here a couple of do’s and don’t before you and the pup pile into the car.
- Let’s start with a basic. Do not use a retractable leash – they are just not safe, Dogs and/or humans can get tangled in the cords, or worse yet you can drop the plastic handle and your dog could take off.
- Try to be really careful about approaching other dogs, ask the owner, “Is it okay to say hi”? Charging up on someone else’s dog is always a bad idea! No matter how sweet your pup is, it could send the wrong signal.
- Of course you’re going to walk your dog before you hop in the car, but remember while you’re out, your dog will need a potty break. Be proactive! Encourage a trip away from the crowd so you aren’t cleaning up in a walkway. (Did we mention bring bags?)
- If any of your chores include a stop where the dog is not welcome, leave that stop off. Or don’t bring the dog. Leaving a dog in a hot car in Florida is deadly.
- Carry water and encourage your dog to drink.
- If your dog is not an actual service dog, don’t try to pass it off as one. That means please don’t bring it into food establishments or places where the Health Department says no. People who are really dependent on their dogs to function will pay the price later – and that’s just not cool.
- All dogs should be microchipped, it can mean the difference between getting home if they are lost or staying lost forever.
Most Sarasota County parks are dog-friendly for on-leash dogs. Paw Parks allow for off-leash play.
Most pet supplies stores welcome four-legged customers – here are a few of our fav’s. Almost all of the brew pubs with outdoor spaces allow dogs, Big Top Brewing, Calusa and JDub’s for example. Home Depot and Lowes also allow dogs on leash. Have fun, stay hydrated and stay safe!