By: Reia Ringor
A cross between a Chihuahua and a Dachshund, Chiweenie is known for its adorableness. It goes by other names such as Choxie, Weeniehuahua, German Taco, or the Mexican Hot Dog. Even though they are small in size, they are energetic, loyal, and develop strong connections and loyalty with their owners. Radiating a big heart even with their compactness!
Size & Weight: Chiweenies are petite, just having a height of 6-10 inches and weighing around 5-12 pounds. Depending on their parents, they can have short legs, long bodies, perked ears, and big eyes or a combination of everything.
Coat & Color: The most common coats of Chiweenies are smooth and tan-colored. Their parents have smooth and long-haired coats while Dachshunds can also have wire-haired coats so Chiweenies’ fur can be either of those. Colors can include white, tan, brown, and black.
Life Expectancy: 12-16 years
Chiweenies can have a mix of personalities from their parents. But in general, they are sweet, loyal companion dogs that adore their owner and enjoy being petted. Like most dogs their favorite place is anywhere you are. They enjoy being pampered and keep close to their owners. Since they are so devoted, typically they will bond with one or two people to one to just one or maybe two people and everyone else is out of luck!
With proper socialization, they can overcome the nervousness that they could inherit from their parents and prevent being too reactive around people and of other dogs.
Something to Bark About
The most famous Chiweenie is Tuna (@tunameltsmyheart) with over 2 million followers on Instagram! They share their adventures and like to travel as well!
- They make a great apartment dog due to their small size.
- Very easy to groom as you only need weekly brushing and occasional baths.
- They are best suited for a one-person household or those with a smaller family with older children
- Regular daily walks will help them stay fit,and stimulated.
- Chiweenies need to be looked for when placed in a large group of people or with a lot of running kids around as they are very small.
- Prone to dental issues due to their lineage; can be prevented with proper grooming and care.
Can’t get enough of the adorableness of Chiweenies? Visit localdogrescues.com to find out more about them! You might also get a chance to adopt one!